Thursday, January 3, 2008

300 Word Essay- Freedom of Speech

Christa Pullins American Studies
12/14/07 Essay

300 Word Essay-Topic Essay on Freedom of Speech

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances, these forty-five simple words cause a lot of problems and drama. My topic focuses on the first amendment: freedom of speech. Every American resident and visitor pertains to my topic. All across the world freedom of speech is a definite problem and it is not guaranteed in some countries, but I am going to talk about freedom of speech in America! What happened is the question, but it cannot be easily answered. Freedom of speech has been a guaranteed unalienable right since 1791, and still it has to be challenged to the courts today on how it is used!

I chose this topic because I believe that many of American citizens and visitors are being affected by the first amendment everyday, and are fully unaware of it! Some of them are being limited of their rights everyday and have no idea. What I would like to attain from this project is to become more aware of my first amendment rights, what are my opinions on them, and develop many more.

My topic relates to conflict because there was a conflict many years ago before we were our own country. The people of the first 13 colonies were unhappy with what they could and couldn’t say out of their mouths. As a result they created the first amendment, which protected the right of Freedom of Speech and Self-Expression, this was the compromise. The second conflict is that the first amendment still has to be challenged to the courts on how it is used. After 216 long years, there is still no compromise to this day on that problem. A question in project that I might also want answered is “should the first amendment be narrowed on what we can say even more? Thank you this concludes my three-hundred word essay on my topic of Freedom of Speech.

2 comments: